Thursday, May 21, 2015

Have you read it yet?

Rumor had it that What Took You So Long hit some kind of a best seller list recently. Have you read it yet? If you like a grown-up love story, you'll like this book. When you read it, go to amazon.com and deseretbook.com and put a little review on there so you'll help other readers know what they're getting into.

To celebrate, I fixed a chicken dish for my family that I'm going to share with you. It came from my mother-in-law who raised seven children but was never a confident cook. This proves she was wrong about herself.

First you grease a 9X13 pan. Don't you just love that new pan spray product that makes greasing a pan so easy? I use that all the time. Well, next you spread a cup and a half of raw rice in the pan. It can be white, but I used a mixture of brown and wild rice that turned out great. Then you sprinkle about a cup of shredded cheese on the rice. Next you lay eight boneless skinless chicken breasts over the cheese and season them with salt and pepper. Sprinkle a packet of onion soup mix over the chicken.

Next you pour two cans of chicken broth over that, and then you spoon here and there a can of cream of chicken soup. Although the recipe says to put it in the oven for an hour at 350 degrees, then take it out, add more cheese and cover it with foil for another half hour of cooking, what I did was put the foil on and bake it for two hours at 325. That second layer of cheese is just not necessary.

My timing was off so it was done way before the guests got here, but I took the foil off and left it in the oven on the "warm" setting until they arrived. It was still nice and tender, both the rice and the chicken. I served it with green beans and a green salad and we all enjoyed the meal. You ought to try it.

1 comment: